De-Clutter Your Mind and Develop Self-Confidence
Is Your Mind Cluttered?
Many people carry around with them a lot of “clutter” in their minds.
When I say this I mean that they are still holding onto things that they say they should do but don’t, the person who they had an argument with and are not speaking to– but both want to, the coulds and shoulds that hold them back and need to let go of, but don’t or don’t know how.
Are you like this?
If you are, it may have a negative influence on your confidence and self esteem.
While there is no quick solution on how to get out of your mind, the following is an exercise to start with.
In effect, what we are doing is making certain tasks “complete”, drawing a line under them and moving on. Another term for this is “psychological completion” or just “completion.”
By writing the answers down to the following questions they become more formal and you are more likely to benefit from the exercise.
1. Putting up with:
- Make a list of 10 things that you are putting up with at home.
- Make a list of 10 things that you are putting up with at work.
- Make a list of 10 things that you are putting up with in any other area of your life.
- Make an action plan to get rid of/communicate these things that you have been putting up with. Be sure to focus on things that YOU have control over and communicate YOUR feelings to others vs. demanding that others change.
2. Unfinished matters:
- Make a list of things that are unresolved/unfinished in your life.
- Make an action plan of how to reduce this number. When will you start and what are the tasks you will need to complete?
- Do you need to clear the air with anyone? If so, just do it. Life is too short!
- Did you ever say that you were going to call someone or keep in touch with someone yet have done nothing about it? If yes, call them or send an email to them today.
- Let go of as many coulds, woulds, shoulds, maybe, oughts as you can. Write these down.
3. Your standards:
- Write down the standards that you have been saying to yourself that you should have; let go of these and write down a list of the standards that you are going to have in your life from this day forward.
- List 5 people who you admire the most. Identify their greatest qualities, behavior and how they lead their life. What standards so they have? What standards could you raise starting today to be more like them?
- Respect that other’s standards will be different from your own. Think of 5 close colleagues or friends – what are their standards and how are they different to yours?
By completing these exercises you will be able to focus more on the here and now, and your future.
Read more about our self esteem counseling services.
Contact one of our counselors for help on how to Develop Self-Confidence to schedule an appointment online. Our Houston therapists are available for face to face sessions as online therapy sessions in limited areas.
To get started now give us a call to schedule an appointment at 832-559-2622 or schedule an appointment online.
Sign up to be notified of group and workshop dates.