- This event has passed.
Adult DBT Skills Tuesday Evening Group
November 29, 2022 @ 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm CST
Dialectical Behavioral Therapy Group (DBT)
Learn Effective Coping Strategies for Overwhelming Emotions & Improve Interpersonal Relationships
- Does it seem that your emotions are out of your control?
- Are you struggling with intense or overwhelming feelings of anger, sadness, frustration, nervousness and more?
- Is emotional reactivity making it difficult to get your needs met in relationships?
- Have your strong, unpredictable feelings led to issues in your relationships, career or life in general?
- Do you wish you could better manage your emotions, feel more in control and create stability in your relationships, career and life?
- Do you find yourself struggling to build or maintain relationships?
Genetics, trauma and emotional neglect can all contribute to emotional vulnerability. That is, difficult to manage emotional reactions that lead to emotional suffering. You may have tried numerous healthy and not-so-healthy coping strategies to manage emotional overwhelm. Perhaps you’ve drunk alcohol to cope with anxiety; overeaten to comfort pain; stayed in bed to avoid something difficult; yelled at or withdrawn from others; cut, picked at or pinched your skin to soothe your distress; or attempted to check out and feel numb. While these strategies may work in the short term, they often do nothing to help with the problem itself, and instead lead to new complications and leave you feeling stuck. If you’re feeling stalled and defeated, a DBT-skills therapy group can assist you in developing new ways of thinking that can make life more meaningful and connected.
What Is Dialectical Behavioral Therapy?
Dialectical Behavioral Therapy was developed to help those struggling with out-of-control emotions to develop new skills so that they could have healthier and connected relationships. While you may feel different or not understood, what you are experiencing is not your fault. You are not flawed! One of the primary premises of DBT is that you are doing the best you can while you may also need to make changes (build skills) in order to cope with challenging experiences and emotions more effectively. The approach is non-judgmental and validating.
If you’re feeling stuck in emotional suffering, a DBT therapy group can help you better manage mood or behavior instability; poor self-image; negative, judgmental or rigid thinking; and relationship issues. Therapists and clients work together to balance change with acceptance. DBT builds on your strengths so that you can feel better about yourself and your life. Working together, we will emphasize change and skill-building while validating your experiences and helping you create a life worth living. You will identify what is important to you, as well as how to experience your emotions fully in a safe way, feel heard by others and get your needs met in relationships.
In our work together, you will develop new, practical skills you can take home and practice right away in order to reduce impulsive behaviors, regulate intense emotions and learn to create and sustain meaningful connections with others. With time, you’ll feel equipped to exchange old, limiting and harmful behaviors for those new, effective skills. A DBT skills group is not a quick fix; rather, it is for people who are motivated and willing to try something different to improve their lives.
The DBT skills group is structured and educational so that you continue to learn and build new skills each session. Group therapy in particular can help you practice new strategies and techniques with peers, then translate that practice to your personal life. People are often surprised to find that group therapy can be especially validating and supportive. Seeing that you are not alone in your struggles can provide a tremendous sense of relief. Sharing parts of yourself with others can be meaningful and incredibly healing.
DBT will help you:
- Evaluate and understand your emotions so they know how to respond to them instead of reacting and making the situation worse with self-destructive behaviors
- Communicate effectively and maintain positive relationships with friends, family and teachers when intense emotions make relating to others in a healthy way challenging
- Gain confidence to ask for help when life gets overwhelming and to say “no” to others when needed
- Discover how to mindfully and fully enjoy each moment of your life, even when responsibilities have piled up and you are feeling overwhelmed
Our Houston-based Dialectical Behavioral Therapy group focuses on four major skill areas.
Mindfulness: develop skills to accept thoughts and urges without criticizing or impulsively acting on them. Learn to stay in the present moment without ruminating on the past or worrying about the future.
Interpersonal Effectiveness: learn strategies for asking for what you need, saying no and coping with interpersonal conflict.
Emotion Regulation: learn skills to regulate out-of-control emotional states.
Distress Tolerance: learn skills for coping with crises without reacting impulsively.
By Working With the DBT Therapy Group, You Can:
- Move from out-of-control to in-control
- Get unstuck from extreme positions, emotions, behavior and/or rigid ways of thinking
- Decrease issues that interfere with quality of life, such as depression, eating disorders, anxiety, social isolation, etc.
- Decrease obsession about past or worry about the future and increase awareness of the present moment
- Understand how to experience emotions in a way that is not overwhelming
- Improve relationships and increase connection
- Increase connection and fulfillment
- Many people struggling with intense emotions can and do get better! You can learn how to experience longer periods of stability and regulation of emotions.
DBT therapy can also help with: depression, self-harm, anxiety, trauma & PTSD, eating disorders, alcohol/drug addiction, suicidal thoughts/urges, and many other areas in which you may feel stuck.
Register for the Adult DBT Skills Group:
We have several DBT skills group options. Groups meet: Mondays during lunch time, Tuesday evenings 6-7:30pm, and Thursday evenings 6-7:30pm.
Complete the interest form below to sign up.
Cost: $75 per session billed at $300 monthly.