Males and Eating Disorders
February 27th, 2014; Posted in Emotional Eating & Body Image
Impact of Eating Disorders Among Males
Males are often neglected in discussions about eating disorders, but the prevalence in eating disorders among males continues to rise. It’s National Eating Disorders Awareness Week. The National Eating Disorder Association has provided an infographic outlining statistics of males and eating disorders.
Some statistics about males and eating disorders:
– Some 10 million males will suffer from an eating disorder at some point in their life.
– Muscularity in males in the media has increased dramatically since the 1970’s, presenting a largely unattainable body image
– 37% of men who binge eat experience depression
– Up to 43% of men are dissatisfied with their bodies
– Among men with eating disorders, 42% identify as gay, whereas gay males only represent 5% of the general population
For Those Struggling with Body Dissatisfaction and Eating Disorders – There is Hope!
Recovery is possible. Contact one of our counselors in Houston for help. An eating disorder therapist can provide an assessment and help you get the appropriate treatment to recover from an eating disorder.
To get started now give us a call to schedule an appointment at 832-559-2622 or schedule an appointment online. We look forward to help you!
Sign up to be notified of group and workshop dates.