When Should You See a Therapist
When Should You See a Therapist?
For many struggling with PTSD, chronic depression, or panic attacks for example, it’s clear that it’s important to work with a therapist to help cope with and alleviate symptoms. However, there are many not so obvious times when a therapist can help you cope with regular life stressors. We all experience periods of change and adjustment, loss, stress, confusion, overwhelm relationship conflict or blues. A therapist can be helpful during these times as well. A therapist does more than just listen; a therapist helps you learn strategies to cope, release stress and tension, and have an objective perspective.
Signs You Should See a Therapist
Huffington Post outlines 8 signs you should see a therapist. Here is a summary:
1. Everything you feel is intense
2. You’ve suffered a trauma and can’t stop thinking about it
3. You have recurrent headaches, stomach aches, or a run-down immune system
4. You’re using a substance to cope or relax, ie., food, wine
5. You’re getting bad feedback at work
6. You feel disconnected from previously beloved activities
7. Your relationships are strained
8. You’re friends have told you they’re concerned
Additional Signs You Should See a Therapist
1. You find it hard to go to sleep at night or wake up too early in the mornings
2. You find your thoughts going over and over, so much so that others notice you’re no longer present
3. You feel down and not motivated, finding it hard to get energy to do things you usually do
4. You don’t feel like yourself anymore
5. You feel stuck and find it difficult to make decisions
6. You have increased conflict in your relationships
Read Huffington Post’s article, 8 Signs You Should See a Therapist here:
If you think you might benefit from seeing a therapist, contact us to find out how we can help. We have a group of therapists in Houston specializing in different areas. We also offer online therapy throughout the state of Texas. To get started now give us a call to schedule an appointment at 832-559-2622 or schedule an appointment online. We look forward to help you!
Sign up to be notified of group and workshop dates.