- This event has passed.
Teen DBT Skills Group For High Schoolers
June 9, 2022 @ 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm CDT
Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT) Skills Groups for High Schoolers
Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) is a skills-based approach that teaches cognitive techniques to help your teen make healthy and effective choices to create a life they will love and be proud of.
DBT is the balance of change and acceptance held in the belief that your teen has the desire and ability to grow and change. The skills they will learn can make a significant impact on their future success.
How to know your child needs DBT?
Does your teen ever…
- Feel sad or angry and they don’t know why or have a critical or negative self-view
- Sleep too much or too little
- Have sudden weight gain or loss
- Focus on making others happy while neglecting their own needs
- Experience emotional outbursts
Has your teen…
- Express a feeling of hopelessness or concern about having nothing to look forward to in life
- Been avoiding emotions by turning to self-harm, substance abuse, or shutting down
- Become involved in unhealthy relationships where they are treated badly
- Started making impulsive decisions
- Had a sudden change in academic performance
DBT Therapy will help your teen:
- Regulate emotions so they can respond instead of reacting to situations and communicate more effectively with parents and others so they will feel more supported, heard, and less judged
- Learn concrete coping strategies to deal with difficulties so that they no longer respond with impulsive behavior at the moment and recognize avoidant behaviors, such as self-harm and substance abuse, as not being a helpful or effective solution, and consciously manage those behaviors while utilizing healthier coping strategies
- Be happy, even under the many stresses of teenage life