Therapy, Support Groups, Workshops and Community Presentations In Houston
You also learn about yourself from one another
As you hear others share their experiences and explore new possibilities, it can trigger your own ah-ha! Many participants find that the group experience facilitates deeper growth by learning and connecting with others.
If you don’t see a group listed here that meets your needs, please check with us, we may be able to offer the group. Most groups start on a particular date, click on the links below to find out more.
Therapy groups tend to be ongoing and participants can start at any time.
Other Webinars & Workshops
We also offer a free monthly webinar/workshop on a mental health topic to bring you a variety of mental health skills.
- Learn more and register for our upcoming “Focus on Wellness” Webinars.
We are also available to present on emotional, self-help or career topics for your group or organization.
- Contact us to inquire about availability.
Therapy & Support Groups, Workshops:
This group is for Parents and/or caregivers who are living with teens with emotional dis-regulation and need help learning skills to respond effectively to their teen, and help their teen regulate their emotions, mood swings, self-harm, and anger outbursts.LEARN MORE & SIGN UP
Dialectical Behavioral Therapy Group was developed to help with out of control emotions. If you’re feeling stuck in emotional suffering, a DBT therapy group can be helpful for you. In the group, you will learn a series of skills to help you cope with difficult emotions and live a better life.LEARN MORE & SIGN UP
No matter what life situation or experience you're going through, you have the capacity and potential to not only heal but also grow as an individual. One way you can achieve this is through counseling since it can facilitate transformational growth and change. Group counseling and workshops provide a safe environment where you can collaborate with others and problem-solve similar situations, all while under professional guidance. At Eddins Counseling Group, we offer a variety of groups and workshops near the Houston, Texas, area.
Why Should You Consider Group Therapy or Workshops?
When you think of therapy, you might automatically consider traditional individual sessions where you would sit with a licensed counselor and discuss important issues. However, group therapy sessions and workshops are another way to work on your mental health. They're a highly effective way of addressing personal concerns and can even be more effective in certain cases. Group sessions allow you to gain new skills and lessen self-isolation since you meet people who are dealing with similar situations.
Another key benefit of group therapy is that the average therapist or counselor can help several people at once. According to Gary Burlingame Ph.D., a psychology department chair and professor at Brigham Young University, group therapy can make you feel like you’re not alone, no matter what issues you’re going through. You can also gain new skills by watching others in the group go through similar issues. Also, according to Burlingame, since there are roughly eight patients in each group, the therapist can treat all eight patients at once.
How Do Group Therapy or Workshops Work?
For a group session, you'll typically be in a group of five to eight individuals all dealing with similar issues. You’ll all meet face-to-face with one or two group counselors to discuss your concerns. These group settings are confidential, so what's discussed in the groups cannot be disclosed or discussed outside of the gathering.
Some of the group sessions fall under several different categories and tend to follow one of the following three formats:
- Understanding self and others: This group typically doesn't have a specific topic for each session, so you can bring any issue you feel is important. These groups focus on the interactions you might experience with other attendees.
- Theme groups: This group usually has a mix of structured and unstructured activities. You provide and receive support from others regarding a specific shared experience.
- Structured skills workshops: This group focuses on a specific topic. The sessions might consist of brief lectures, experimental activities, and group discussions all led by group leaders.
What Workshops, Therapy, and Support Groups are Available?
At Eddins Counseling Group, we remain committed to helping you feel better and finding solutions that work best for you and your family. We provide a variety of support group sessions to address your emotional, relationship, and career goals. Many of these therapy groups are ongoing, and you can attend them at any time. The group sessions we offer include the following:
- DBT Skills Therapy Group: The Dialectical Behavioral Therapy Group teaches you how to deal with out-of-control emotions. You'll gain the necessary skills to live an overall better life.
- Eating Disorder Therapy Group: With this group, you'll gain emotional support as you recover from an eating disorder. You'll receive strength and support while learning coping skills and behaviors.
- Make Peace with Food Group Program: If you're someone who struggles with compulsive eating, consider joining this group. You'll gain a better understanding of how to break free from out-of-control eating and an obsession with weight.
- Middle School DBT Group: Children in middle school experience change and acceptance, so this group helps them learn how to grow and can have a significant impact on their future.
- Parents of Teens DBT Skills Group: If you're looking for ways to connect with your teen, this group might work best for you. You'll learn how to help them deal with emotions, mood swings, anger outbursts, and self-harm.
- Resilient Parenting Support Group: Being a parent is filled with challenges, so this group helps you to avoid destructive behaviors by learning from other parents going through the same experiences. You'll understand better what works and what doesn't as you share your insight and struggles.
- Teen DBT Skills Group: Through this group, teenagers learn about cognitive techniques to make healthy and effective choices to make themselves happy.
- Trauma and Grief Processing Group for Adolescents: For teenagers who have experienced a significant loss or another type of trauma, this group teaches them coping skills to heal their pain.
If you don't see a certain group that meets your particular needs, we might be able to offer the group in the future. Simply reach out to us and let us know how we can help you get back on track.
What Are Other Ways You Can Work With Groups?
We also offer a free monthly webinar/workshop that focuses on mental health. Register for our upcoming Focus on Wellness webinars to learn more. Once you register, you'll receive a link to view the seminars at a specific time. Our licensed clinicians present a different topic on the second Tuesday of every month from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. You can also watch replays of previously recorded webinars if you missed one.
Another option is to have one of our therapists or counselors visit your organization and present a topic on self-help, careers, or emotions. We actively seek ways to educate those in the Houston area through relationship, mental health, and emotional topics. We can customize workshops for your church group, school, business organization, and civic group.
Established in 2010, Eddins Counseling Group believes that people are more than just a diagnosis. With more than 30 therapists and counselors on staff, they account for more than 300 years of total service. Our staff members work closely with everyone individually to develop a treatment plan that works best for their life situation. Contact us today to schedule an appointment with one of our counselors.