The War on Women’s Bodies & Eating Disorders
February 26th, 2014; Posted in Emotional Eating & Body Image
Some Facts About Body Dissatisfaction and Eating Disorders
It’s Eating Disorder Awareness Week! This infographic published by the National Eating Disorder Association illustrates some startling facts about women, body hatred and eating disorders.
A Few Statistics on Body Dissatisfaction and Eating Disorders:
– 98% of American women are not as thin as fashion models
– Body dissatisfaction among women and girls is the best known contributor to eating disorders
– If you diet frequently, you are 12 times more likely to binge eat
– Nearly 20 million women will suffer from an eating disorder at some point in their life
– Anorexia has the highest mortality rate of any mental illness
The Media and Body Image
The National Eating Disorder Association has compiled these statistics regarding the impact of the media on adolescents’ body image:
- The more pre-adolescent girls view media messages, the more concerned they become about their appearance and the greater they are dissatisfied with their bodies
- In a study of 9-14 year olds, 46% of girls and 27% of boys have done something to their appearance to look like someone in the media
- 86% of respondents on teen body image say social media sites like Facebook and Twitter hurt their body confidence
- Media literacy can decrease risk factors for eating disorders and increase healthy body image
Click here to view the infographic and statistics: Media and Body Image.
For Those Struggling with Body Dissatisfaction and Eating Disorders – There is Hope!
Recovery is possible. Contact one of our counselors in Houston for help. An eating disorder therapist can provide an assessment and help you get the appropriate treatment to recover from an eating disorder.
To get started now give us a call to schedule an appointment at 832-559-2622 or schedule an appointment online. We look forward to help you!
Sign up to be notified of group and workshop dates.