10 Everyday Things You Can Do to Overcome Depression
The moment you open your eyes every day, you engage in a fight.
You protect yourself from pervasive, negative thoughts that inundate your mind.
That battle rages, draining you of time and energy, until you finally fall back asleep at night.
Is this the way your days go?
What can help you struggle less?
Things You Can Do Every Day to Defeat Depression
You don’t have to do anything overwhelmingly drastic. Just make sure you have an everyday routine that at least includes these 10 simple actions:
1. Set daily goals – Goals help keep you grounded. Make them something you can handle. It doesn’t have to be anything huge. Try to complete certain tasks around your home, or stay involved with responsibilities at work.
2. Eat healthy – Scientists found that your brain is only as healthy as your digestive system. Therefore, it’s a good idea to keep your gut in good shape and limit your intake of sugar and processed foods, because they can cause inflammation that affects your health negatively. Foods with a lot of omega-3 fatty acids and folic acid, on the other hand, may help ease depression too.
3. Take vitamins – Evidence indicates that vitamin supplements like vitamin D and B-complex can help alleviate depressive symptoms and help you keep optimal mental health. However, always make sure you check with your doctor before using supplements, especially if you’re taking antidepressant medication.
4. Exercise – Regular exercise can stimulate the brain to rewire itself in a positive way. Aerobic workouts encourage the release of endorphins to block stress hormones, at the same time stimulating production of serotonin, to lift the mood. It’s interesting to note that swimming, in particular, can have a powerful effect reducing panic and sadness due to its repetitive mechanics.
5. Get sunlight exposure – Soaking up some sunshine for 15-20 minutes a day helps regulate the circadian rhythm which manages brain wave activity and hormone production. If the climate doesn’t allow it or you simply can’t find the time, the easiest thing to do is use a sun lamp instead.
6. Sleep enough – Depression can actually worsen if you don’t get enough sleep, but sleeping well may also be a struggle for you. To overcome difficulty sleeping, keep a strict schedule. Go to bed and get up at the same time each morning, don’t nap during the day, and banish screens( computer, TV, phone) from your bedroom.
7. Meditate – Fighting depression means a lot of mental work. You have to change how you think. Not only does that mean you have to learn to challenge negative thoughts with logic, but you should also get into a routine of daily meditation, beneficial meditation, such as mindfulness practice.
8. Record joys and accomplishments – Those little pleasures can help carry you through many moments of anxiety and sadness. It’s very helpful to make an actual written record. When memory gets blurred due to mental stress, you can look at your list and recall those things that brought you happiness and satisfaction.
9. Laugh – Have some fun! Learn how to laugh. It speeds the healing process. Researchers found that laughter increases the production of beta-endorphins and human growth hormone, which can decrease depressive symptoms.
10. Do something new – Find something new, like a hobby, a food, to do or try out. It changes the level of dopamine, the chemical that causes pleasure and enjoyment. Start with little things and work up to something bigger and bolder.
Get Help Overcoming Depression
Depression can rob you of joy, but you don’t have to face it alone. Houston therapists can be helpful in overcoming depression. Contact us at 832-559-2622 or schedule an appointment online for depression treatment.
Sign up to be notified of group and workshop dates.